Illinois Governor Offers Tax Relief Due to Severe Weather

Share this post
Tax relief for Illinois taxpayers

Illinois Taxpayers Receive Tax Relief Due to Severe Weather

Gov. JB Pritzker announced a Disaster proclamation. This will provide tax relief for individuals and businesses devastated by the severe weather and tornadoes on June 29th through July 4th in 21 counties across Illinois. Taxpayers may request waivers of penalties and interest on state taxes if they cannot file their returns or make payments on time. This applies to people in impacted counties listed in the proclamation. They are eligible to request a waiver of penalties and interest for income, withholding, sales, specialty, and excise taxes.

The counties covered by the Disaster Proclamation originally included: Coles, Cook, Edgar, Hancock, McDonough, Morgan, Sangamon, and Washington. The Governor has since widened the scope of the proclamation to include Calhoun, Christian, Clark, Cumberland, DeWitt, Douglas, Logan, Macon, Monroe, Moultrie, Pike, Scott and Vermillion Counties.

Illinois was hard hit by recent torrential rain and severe weather. The devastation in these counties is significant. Taxpayers seeking waivers of penalties and interest for taxes should send a brief written explanation to the Illinois Department of Revenue (IDOR). This should include of why they cannot timely file or pay. Taxpayers should provide their full name, account number (if using a Social Security number, include only the last four digits), mailing address, and an estimate of when they believe they can file or pay their taxes.

How to Receive Tax Relief

Requests may be sent electronically to Also, via the USPS using the address on the tax return. Taxpayers who mail their request to IDOR should write “Severe Storms – Summer 2023” on the top of the return in red and include their explanation for penalties and interest abatement request. Property owners who may have been impacted by severe weather in the declared counties should contact their county Supervisor of Assessments office if they wish to apply for reassessment due to any property damage.